Friday, May 9, 2008

Singing Lessons?

Ok - so I was doing my volunteer work at the church this morning (I work every Friday morning - love it!).....we have a new music director and he asked to have a meeting with me at 10am! My first thought - "Uh Oh!"

So I prayed for an open mind...is he going to ask me to sing in the choir? Does he just need help filing? Does he want me to lead the bell choir? God was saying, "Molly - keep an open mind....I've got your back covered!" So, I went into his office and he had the biggest smile on his face and he said, "Come over here to the piano - I am going to lock the door so no one disturbs us - and I am going to teach you to sing!" LOL LOL LOL He was so enthusiastic about it...he said he wasn't asking me to join the choir, nothing! He wants to and loves to teach people to sing (btw - he is a professional opera singer). So, I thought - "Molly, God said to have an open mind and that he would cover your back." Ok - I put a big smile on my heart and face and dove in head first!

He asked me to sing chords: "yah yah yah yah yah" (that was a chord if you couldn't tell)..... So I did - and right away he stopped me to say that I was singing "Yaw" not "Yah"! ??????? He stated that lots of people in Texas have this problem. So we spent 15 minutes trying to hear the difference between "Yaw" and "Yah". He had me think of the British pronunciation of "Fah....ther" and keep that in mind. Well, I did and I STILL couldn't tell the difference. So he said - it's also how you hold your mouth. To say "Yaw" your mouth is opened wide, to say "Yah" you open your mouth like a column (WHAT?) So I did and I STILL couldn't tell the difference. Every once in a whil - he would yell - That's It! You did it! (I still couldn't tell the difference). Oh well - I have through August to work on this.


What will happen next week? Who knows....although I have to say - I have been practicing my Yaws and Yahs.......but I still can't tell the difference. So I am either practicing it wrong or right. I'll find out next Friday.


2 comments:

Lauren Williams said...

what! i didn't know you had this hidden talent- although i should have since every one with Williams blood seems to have music talent!!

Hayley B said...

YEAH!!!! I am so excited for you! and yes there is a difference between Yaw and Yah...man oh man do I remember all the poor people from Texas in English Diction class! Between that and the oo vowel us texans have it rough :) LOVE YOU