Monday, January 21, 2008

Torture for comfort and beauty?

For Christmas I requested (yes, requested) an epilator.

According to the Webster Dictionary:
ep·i·late /ˈɛpəˌleɪt/ –verb (used with object), -lat·ed, -lat·ing.
to remove (hair) from by means of physical, chemical, or radiological agents; depilate.

Yes - I requested a machine that would remove the hair on my legs by "pulling it out one hair at a time" !!!!! What was I thinking??????
Years ago (could it be 20?) an "Epilady" thing came out for hair removal. It was basically stainless steel coils that would spin - the object of which it would catch the individual hairs on your leg and pull them out. Thus - you wouldn't have to shave your legs for a month. Well - I could work through the pain....but it was a pain to use.

I came across an article of how this process had been improved and it introduced a new epilator by Braun. So, after researching and reading all the reviews - this is what I learned. That those brave souls using this new epilator (Braun Silk-epil ...even sounds better) came away with high reviews. They stated that it did hurt the first time...but like pucking your eyebrows.. you get used to the pain and it hurts less each time. The hairs, when they grow back, grow back a little thinner each time. Also - the need to not have to do it again for 4 weeks was a big plus. They also stated that this particular contraption was a lot easier to use than the old one (20 years ago) and did a much better job.

So - ever on the prowl for new things to improve my comfort for beauty - I requested it and Santa delivered. Looking at the machine - it was pretty scary - it has a wheel with many many little metal gizmos that act as tweezers. As the wheel spins (super fast) - these little tweezers grab the hairs on your leg and pulls them out. It even has an attachment of spinning plastic spikes that stimulate the skin so it won't notice when the hairs are being pulled out (believe me - every hair noticed being pulled out). So - I got into the bathroom, shut the door, turned on the machine and used the head attachment for "expert epilator user" (why beat around the bush - go for the gusto!!!).

Result: - Yes, it hurt at first and was a shock to the system feeling your hairs being pulled out. But, I have to admit - I got used to it (or rather knew what to expect) and I found myself looking for little hairs that I missed (this contraption has a little light to see those little hairs you miss). Truley - it hurt so good - knowing in the back of my mind that I wouldn't have to shave my legs for weeks. Now, the first time I used it was at Christmas - I had to do a retouch a week later because hairs grow at different speeds.....but the touch up didn't take long at all. Then about 4 weeks after Christmas - I had to do it again. It was no big deal. The reviews were correct - the hairs were a little finer (or maybe just not stubby so they seemed finer) and it didn't hurt quit like the first time.

What do I think? Definitely worth it. For me and the girls in my family - with course hair - and that I shave my legs every day - worth it. It is just so wonderful to jump in the shower and not have to shave my legs every day. I am at the point now that I almost look forward to when I can epilate my legs again. Making those little hairs grow back finer and finer each time. Again, there is some touch up that I do when little strays grow back.....but I don't even feel them growing back (because they aren't stubbles) and have to look for them. Ahhhhhhhhh!

So, I rate this 5 stars.........

The attachment at the top right is with the little plastic spikes
Notice the silver tweezers on the rotating head


4 comments:

will said...

that thing looks interesting. Very painful though. How long does it take per leg? Have you tried waxing? I've been waxing for a while now and can definatly tell a difference. The more you do it, the less grow back.

Hayley B said...

WEll Aunt Molly, You have spiked my curiousity. I am feeling an impulse to go and purchase one of these torture wonders! If you don't mind me asking home much would one have to spend for the enjoyment of smooth legs for weeks?!?!?!

Lauren Williams said...

this is fabulous! absolutely fabulous! i am looking forward to part two!!

Sarah W said...

that looks so painful! how fabulous to not have to shave though. although, i'm not sure if it could handle my latina hair!